Cell Culture is a key tool for understanding basic biological processes and for analysis of compounds that may have therapeutic potential in a variety of human diseases.
The Cell Culture Facility (CCF) is a Biosafety Level 2 (BSL-2) unit which is utilized by multiple users and investigators who maintain and employ different cell lines for varied research purposes. Current users mainly consist of principal investigators from the College of Dentistry and their collaborators.
The shared multi-user facility concept entails that the MCB Laboratory oversees the facility, maintains shared laboratory equipment, provides the basic laboratory consumables (refer to MCB Lab Usage Rates), ensure that all biosafety measures are in place and enforce the institutional policies that control access to the laboratory; while CCF users are expected to bring their own project-specific materials to the facility and be responsible for their own cell culture maintenance.
All research work will be performed using strict BSL-2 guidelines. The isolation of the facility is of key importance since primary cells cannot be tested for mycoplasma or virus contamination as of the present time.
The facility currently houses two laminar flow hoods, a refrigerator, -20°C and -80°C freezers, two CO2 incubators, a liquid nitrogen cryotank, analytical balance, complete centrifuge systems, a multi-mode absorbance/fluorescence plate reader with computer, and two inverted microscopes (one with an attached digital camera).
- Use of a sterile workstation for investigators without their own facilities and equipment
- Preparation of sterile growth media and reagents
- Cell propagation
- Establishment of primary cultures from human tissue samples
- Cell banking / Frozen storage of viable cells
- Basic cell culture training including proper sterile techniques, cell passaging, cell counting, plating, thawing and freezing cells
- Basic cell culture support and assistance
- Consultations to assist in experimental design
FACILITY HOURS: Sunday to Thursday: 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM (Last booking for hood use: 3:30 PM)
All facility users must request use and book the facility before starting any project or using any equipment.