Due to the concern of the current situation, we have decided to postpone the program to Summer 2021 until further notice. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Summer School 2021
This course covers the fundamental principles and techniques used in experimental research in the area of Molecular Biology and Biomedicine. Essentially practical in nature, it aims at the learning of current genomics and proteomics techniques, as well as the acquisition of skills in laboratory experimentation required for scientific research in biomedicine.
By end of the course the participants must be able to:
- Master the basic practices and techniques in laboratory work.
- Carry out experimental work and interpret results proficiently and confidently in the areas of molecular biology and Biomedicine.
- Apply the acquired knowledge to design a lab experiment
A theoretical introduction to each topic will be followed by the practical module. The learning process will develop through direct contact with the laboratory experimental techniques and by the systematic execution of all the essential steps conducing to the successful completion of the experiment.
- Basic laboratory practice: ethics, laboratory safety
- pipetting and solution preparation-
- Essential biostatistics
- Math Skills for the lab
- Essential academic writer
- Cell culture and Aseptic techniques
- Nucleic acids extraction (DNA, RNA)
- Quantification techniques and quality control
- cDNA synthesis by reverse transcription (RT)
- DNA and cDNA amplification by conventional PCR and real time PCR (qPCR)
- Gene expression studies (RT-qPCR)
- Results analysis and interpretation
- Recombinant DNA techniques (enzymatic restriction, transformation, molecular cloning)
- Design target specific CRISPR/Cas9 tools
- Generation of guide RNA (gRNA)
- Transfection optimization for efficient gene editing
- Generation of knock-out and/or knock-in cell lines
- Validation of genome-edited cell lines
- Protein extraction and Quantification
- Electrophoresis (SDS-PAGE)
- Western blotting
- Immunohistochemistry and Fluorescence imaging techniques
Who should Attend?
Students at any Saudi University in the areas of Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Biochemistry, Biology, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Agricultural Sci, Medical Laboratory, and Medical/ Natural Sciences.
N.B: Priority will be given for last year and recent graduate.
- Registration online
- CV (2 pages)
- Optional: Motivation letter (200-400 words)
- Optional: English Language skills
- Pay fees (will be announced)
Ground Floor, College of Dentistry,
King Saud University, Riyadh, KSA